Wednesday, May 19, 2010

A Friend

The definition of a friend is "a person whom one knows, likes, and trusts." There are a lot of people I know and like but my true friends mean more than that. Friend also comes from an Old English word meaning "to love" and that is what I think of when I think of my "friends." These are my true friends, the people I can always count on to be there, whether they are a phone call or email away, or right down the street. The military doesn't always make it easy to have friends, being that we make them and then have to leave them. However, in a way, the military makes it easy to weed out the friends, and keep those that mean the most. Over the last 9 years I have made some amazing friends along this journey and I am so glad they are all still in my life. Probably my deepest friendships are with my mom and sisters, they are my deepest friendships. Some of the other friends I have made along this journey so far include my longest friendship with Erin, we have known each other since the
4th grade. No matter where our lives have taken us, we have always been friends and will always be. Then there are my Army friends. My longest friend being Kristen, who I can't wait to be close to again next year, we will both be in Kansas! Kristen and I met at Fort Polk and went through our first deployment together. Something that connected us and we will always be friends. Then there are the amazing friends I made since living up here. My CAV girls-Tracey, Cat, and Rachel, we will always have an amazing bond. We shared a deployment together, the birth of kids, Sunday night dinners, etc etc! Now we are all in different places but still talk and remain friends for life. Last but not least by any means, are my 2 closest friends here at Drum now, Jen and Lisa. I wouldn't know what my life would be like without them. They are not just my friends but my family up here. They make me smile and laugh daily and my life would not be the same without them. Last night, when my substitute sitter didn't show up, they felt so bad that they went and got dinner and brought it back to my house, just so I could share a girls night out with them. They are the true meaning of the word friendship-the love of a friend. Thank you to my friends for always being there!

5 comments:

JCharlton said...

CRYING! I wouldn't know what yo do without you either and I will be so lost next year. I plan to enjoy every minute we can spend together from now until then. I am so happy we could still make you a part of last night. STUPID BABYSITTER! Love you!

Laurie said...

You are truly blessed to have found such amazing friends in Jen and Lisa. They will be the kind of friends who, even though someday you might only see them once every year or 2, you will pick up where you left off and it will be like you just saw each other yesterday. And believe me, it puts your family at ease knowing they are there for you, esp when Lee is away. So from me...thanks Jen and Lisa for looking out for my baby sis! Hope to see you in July!!

The North Country Sweets said...

Especially after everything today...i'm sitting at my computer sobbing...I love you Kristen. I'm so lucky to have gotten to know you, leave and then come back and be welcomed back into your life! And thank-you for letting me get to know Jen too...you have a special knack for making great friends because you yourself are a wonderful friend. You get back what you put out there.
Love you!!!

donna said...

Ditto what big sis says! Just like my friends from Pitt. We get together once a year (this year twice!) and just pick up where we left off. That's the comfort of friendships too. Will try to come up this summer as well! Can't wait for June 18th!

JCharlton said...

You are ALL making me cry now! Kristen and Lisa can you PLEASE stay here forever? I don't want to lose you!

Followers