Tuesday, August 31, 2010

We made it--Cheers to 9 Amazing Years and Many More!!



So I need to take a moment to tell you about my ride home from Jen's. Jen gave me a box of chocolate covered strawberries to indulge in for my anniversary which is tomorrow. Jake asked me what my anniversary meant. I told him about it and he got very sad. He said he was sad because he didn't get me anything and that he couldn't make me a card. He didn't want to ask me for help because then I would see it. It was really really sweet.
As I drove, I thought about 9 years and how much I miss Lee. It isn't an anniversary when the one person you love with all your heart isn't here to celebrate with. Thank God I had my sunglasses on....
Then as if that wasn't enough to bring on the waterworks..I guess today really hit home for me. Today was the last Charlton/Castana playdate. While we were there, Jen said something to me that struck a chord. She said, "It would be great if our children could grow-up together." It would be great and I truly wish our life could be that simple. However, I know someday it will be, just not yet.
September 1st has so much meaning. We have made it 9 years, ups and downs, sickness and health, together and far apart. And ironically, I never thought I would be married to a military man, but if it wasn't for the Army I would never have met all the amazing friends I have. So while it stinks that our kids won't grow up together, if it wasn't for the Army we would have never met. It is very bittersweet. Having this last play date of the summer was really really sad for me. I cry when I think about leaving here and our best friends and it breaks my heart. I know our children will not grow up together, but they will grow up always knowing each other. We will always be connected.
So, even though 13 years ago when I met Lee I never expected to be a military wife, I have embraced this life and all that it has brought to me. Now, I just want it to bring me some family time. I miss my husband, my best friend, my confidant, and the love of my life. I can't wait for you to come home so we can celebrate this wondeful life we have made together. Thank you for 9 fabulous years!
Happy Anniversary and cheers to many more!!
PS--My awesome husband sent me beautiful flowers. I was so confused on how he did it being that he has no money over there. He actually put them on lay-away from last year knowing he would be away. He is so thoughtful..thank you!

5 comments:

JCharlton said...

I'm sobbing my eyes out. You are the best friend I have ever had and I will cherish every last minute I have with you and your wonderful family. I love you tons!
Happy Anniversary and enjoy those berries!

Jen V said...

Happy Anniversary to two of the most wonderful people we have ever met. We are definitely going to miss you like crazy when you have to move away next year. We are so lucky to have you guys in our life, and we promise that just because you'll be 100's of miles away, you will not be forgotten. Thanks for the good cry this morning, I needed it!
Have a great day, we love you guys!

Laurie said...

5 words...Thank God for waterproof mascara. Oy. You and Lee are amazing together and I am so happy for you both to have found true, deep, lasting love. How many men would think that far ahead to put flowers on lay-away?! AMAZING! Love you both!

Lee said...

WOW Love.. What a tear jerker.. I couldnt have summed up our lives any better than that. I'm so thankful that you and the kids not only support my career but embrace it and are behind me 100%. How many wifes would volunteer to be an FRG Leader 4 times and the best OSC President that Fort Drum ever had:) Thanks for 9 wonderful year and many more to follow. From the first time I met you at Gannon I knew their was something special and its still true to this day we are soulmates and so much more. Thanks for all the love and support.. I cant explain how much I love our family and how great the next 10 years will be sharing them with you. Love Lee
Happy Anniversary!!!!!!!

The North Country Sweets said...

This is such a touching tribute to the man you married, your life, your children and of course the military way. Your point about never having met your friends if you weren't in the Army and it is that the moves are what helps you meet these people, yet tear you apart, was so poignant. You kknow you guys will always have wonderful family vacations and visits since your family lives in PA...Lee you're so thoughtful to have thought about those flowers ahead of time, not too many men would remember to do that, you are a gem.
Love you guys!

Followers